Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Thoughts on deer and other pests...

I got up early this morning to water my garden and was faced with a tragedy of minor proportions. I have this little bitty avocado tree that was finally starting to grow past its difficult past (too long in a pot, not enough water, snails, pretty much anything that could kill an avocado was tried before my former roommate got it into the ground). Anyway, it had a lot of lovely new growth and several sprays of flowers (I wasn't expecting any fruit this year, but it was good to see it flowering), and was just generally looking healthy and vigorous. Until the deer came by and ate all but about two of the new leaves (they left the old leaves, which is good, because it means the baby might be able to create enough energy to grow some new leaves). They also stripped my rose (which had two open flowers and several half open flowers). Luckily for the rose it is wide enough and thorny enough that they only got the front of it, but it will definitely recover. It is big and well established. They tasted one tomato (the Black Prince, not the Sweet Million) and the squash (Ronde de Italia). I'm going to put some deer repellent around and hope that it works. If I rotate the two liquid types that I have and put the pellets under the rose, things should work out.

I wouldn't mind the deer so much, except that they don't nibble, they chomp. It's like with gophers, if they wouldn't kill everything they encounter, I would willingly share. Especially if they ate the weeds and not my roses and vegetables. :-)

Really, that's about all I can think of to say. It might have something to do with the fact that I've been working non-stop for the past three weeks. At least I got this afternoon off, and some of tomorrow. I have some bookkeeping to do (people are constantly wanting to be paid, it's a crazy world), but I have an early chiropractor's appointment and then a hair appointment in the early afternoon. I love getting my hair done. I love everything about it. I may have to tighten my budget, but I that is one indulgence that is almost a necessity (only almost, but it's close, since sometimes I need an excuse to sit and do nothing for a couple hours, of course, other times, I don't, I just sit and do nothing even shen there are things I should be doing).

Yarn projects in progress: Homespun Shawl (finally, after starting it about 15 times); 1 Incredible scarf (that's the yarn, not a comment on its quality); 1 Lion Suede scarf; Drunkard's Path afghan
Yarn projects in the planning stage: 1 Lion Suede scarf; 1 multi yarn scarf (there is one more texture I want to find, but haven't so far); 3 Lion Suede hats; 1 afghan

Right. Time to go release the dogs from durance vile and feed some horses so I can eat a salad and go off to game night.

Harley

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Dude, I want a scarf. Working non-stop is good - keeps you from being a major drama queen like your lil sis!

    ReplyDelete