Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dances with words

The question on my mind tonight is who makes a sewing kit but doesn't put any needles in it? The answer whoever put together the Dollar $tore sewing kit I got from a niece for Christmas. I guess you can't expect too much from a $1 sewing kit. However, I would have been happier if they had left out the miniature scissors (which I haven't tried, but probably won't cut much) and put in a needle. It's a good thing I didn't have an emergency needle need.

Considering dessert (although why I'm considering dessert when I haven't had dinner yet is a question for another time). I have a bunch of lovely Eureka lemons that I need to use up -- I might use one for my dinner... Instead of balsamic vinegar, I'll use lemon juice to dress my salad, which will be made of spinach, tuna, carrots, sauteed onions and garlic and not much else... Sometimes my brilliance in the kitchen astounds me (this isn't one of those times) -- but I'm craving chocolate (as usual, and who doesn't). I wonder if I can find a recipe that uses both chocolate and lemons (epicurious here I come...). Well, not tonight, I guess. I'll just have to settle (!) for dulce de leche ice cream with chocolate chips. It's a sacrifice, but one that I'm willing to make.

Dinner, by the way, turned out delightfully. Crunchy, chewy onions and garlic make any savory dish better (well, almost, I can think of a few that wouldn't be improved, but salads don't number in those ranks).

I was going to go yarn shopping this evening, but Mom and I were run off our feet at the store today (why do going out of business sales improve sales to the point where you might be tempted to stay in business if it weren't for the fact that your landlord had sold the property to a development group?), which means that I would not have been able to make a yarn decision to save my life. It's a good thing yarn decisions are rarely life or death. I do, however, need to get to work on the project for which I need to buy yarn. It is times like these that my determination to not buy yarn that I do not have a project for comes back to bite me. Because if I had a good yarn stash, and not just odds and ends, I could start without having to shop. Then again, I have three or four projects I could be working on right now, but am not. Okay, fine. Drunkard's Path afghan it is. I hate sewing squares together. I keep telling myself I will never again do a project that has squares that will later need to be assembled. It isn't nice to lie to oneself.

This is a partial list of things I need to make my kitchen complete:

cake pans (of various sizes, including springform and tube)
a good can opener (I have an old wonky one that works, but I don't need the workout everytime I want to open a can)
a waffle iron (mmm, waffles)
a griddle (pancakes, hamburgers, fried egges, bacon...need I say more?)
cast iron skillet(s) (umm, duh!)
wooden spoons (because I like using them)
a ladle (because I like soup)
roasting pan (roast chicken, roast beef, roast poatoes)
roasting rack (should I ever roast a turkey, I'll want one of these)
a slow cooker (I have one, but I want one where the pot comes out of the heating part, and I especially want the one I can use on the stove top or in the oven)

I can see that I need to get married in the near future. If only for the kitchen gadgets. ;-)

Word for the day: Picayune
Book(s) I'm reading: Rhiana by Michele Hauf
Yarn projects in progress: Sweater for Madeleine, Scarf for Kendall, Blanket for Mel and Miller, Valentine Filet Crochet for LUNA gift exchange. Oh hey! I could start working on Christmas presents. I have the yarn and the projects. Whee!
Phrase for the day: Holy Mackerel
Plant of the day: Snapdragon

Talk on ya later

Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment