Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Some things just aren't meant to be...

I've given up on the Diamond Knit Shawl. It is beyond my knitting skills at the moment and was causing me great frustration. I went wrong somewhere, but couldn't figure out how to fix it or compensate for it. I kept coming up one stitch short or one stitch over in the pattern. It's ripped out now and I'm trying on a couple crocheted afghans (throws rather, the pieces will be too small to be considered afghans) for size. I may have to go buy more yarn (oh! horrors!) if I don't like the way the two colors of Homespun that I have crochet together. I'll figure that one out in the morning light. I may scream if I don't get this figured out in the next several days. The person I'm making the project for won't need it by the time I finish at this rate. Grrr! Argh!

The only reason I'm still up at this hour (aside from having just come home from my parents' house, where I had yummy beef stew for dinner and watched The Daily Show with Jon Stewart [well, sort of watched, I was crocheting part of the time and missed bits] and House. I don't get to watch either show much because I don't have cable. Well, I suppose I could watch House, but then I would have to putz with the antenna cable, and I'm not a good cable putzer with-er [yay! a made up word! or two!]), is (to get back to the original point of this sentence) that I want oatmeal for breakfast, and I won't have the 45 minutes it takes to cook the oats in the morning. So I'm doing it now so I can just reheat it for breakfast. Sometimes I'm clever. Other times it doesn't work out so well.

I'm planting a vegetable garden this year. I'm very excited by the prospect. This is the first year I've had a garden to plant. I love fresh vegetables. I have already planted two tomato plants (not for me, I don't like tomatoes, but for my mother and my boyfriend love them, so they get two kinds), and several zucchini plants (three Rond de Italia which are little round green squashes and a regular green zucchini). I brought home a cucumber plant, a yellow crookneck squash plant and three kinds of peppers (two poblano types and a sweet pepper). I also brought home some thyme, basil, two oreganos and a mint. There's a rhubarb plant waiting for a spot and some potatoes that I'm going to put in fifteen gallon pots. I want to find a place to plant some horseradish too. I'll be swimming in produce if all goes well.

I planted a yellow kniphofia this evening (after work, before feeding horses). It is a variety called Malibu Yellow. It's tucked in under a palm tree next to a bottlebrush with bright red flowers. The clear yellow and bright red should spark off each other really nicely (actually, they do already, but it will be even better as time goes on). Plus, hummingbirds really love both plants. I can only hope that it will not become the hummingbird death trap, since I have two cats that love to hunt, and are very good at it. The cats will look on it as their own personal drive up window in reverse. They just wait there and the hummingbirds come to to them. Having said it, it won't happen. Right? Right.

Things I want to do with my life: write a book, get married, have children, write another book, get in shape, promote world peace, write another book, play Wonder Woman in the movie, take ballroom dance classes, write another book. Not much really.

Off to stick the oatmeal in the fridge and then head for bed before I fall asleep with my face in the keyboard (which wouldn't be comfortable, but might create some interesting letter combinations, although, likely not Hamlet).

Talk on ya later.

Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment